How to solve
impossible-seeming public issues
In communities, cities, states, and nations … and globally … we are experiencing many impossible-seeming issues like:
- Flawed collective decision-making … disaffected citizens, money-in-politics, partisan gridlock, etc.
- Deep inequities … social injustices, prejudice, poverty, etc.
- System failures … health care, education, justice, etc.
- Fundamental problems … wars, punishing economic cycles, addictive substances, etc.
- Groups of citizens in Victoria BC, Pleasantville NY, Port Townsend WA, the Rogue Valley of OR, and other communities have used the Wisdom Council to facilitate citizen empowerment.
- The Wisdom Council is working so well in cities of Austria that elected representatives for the state of Vorarlberg use it to improve communication within the legislature. Now the governor and all four parties have worked together to change the constitution to account for the Wisdom Council.
- People from around the world are supporting a new strategy to establish a national "We the People" conversation in the U.S. using a series of live TV events. This Kickstarter page describes the process. It's open through Dec 6th.
The three primary social innovations can facilitate collective wisdom:
- Choice-creating … this is the heartfelt quality of thinking needed for people to face difficult issues, think together creatively and collaboratively, and achieve unanimous breakthrough solutions. Choice-creating is similar to "decision-making" in that we come up with group answers, but it's different in that no judgment is used. (See the chart comparing decision-making, consensus, and choice-creating.)
- Dynamic Facilitation … here is a way one person can reliably evoke the spirit of choice-creating in a group of people, where they achieve win/win perspectives on ill-defined, impossible-seeming issues. (See the chart comparing Dynamic Facilitation with traditional facilitation.)
- The Wisdom Council … here is a way to evoke the spirit of choice-creating throughout a large system of people, like an organization, city or nation. It's a way we all can participate in figuring out what to do. The Wisdom Council uses small groups of randomly selected people, plus Dynamic Facilitation to create a voice of the public interest. This voice is resonant with the larger community in a way that can stand up to the voices of special interests. There are different forms of Wisdom Council including:
- The Wisdom Council Process is a way to structure a new public conversation in which a strong voice of "We the People" arises.
(Thanks to Hemma Spreitzhofer and the people at KOMUNARIKO. Filmed Feb. 13, 2012 in Salzburg, Austria )
1) A suggested strategy for transcending partisan gridlock in the U.S. Congress.
2) How citizen groups can initiate community transformation using the Wisdom Council.
3) How to save the world fast and easy. The Wisdom Council Process is entirely scalable. It can be used to spark collective intelligence at the global level.
Note: It's natural to turn away and dismiss new out-of-the-box strategies no matter how promising they might sound. We hope you will resist this tendency, and learn more. Hopefully, you will recognize how this approach can help our world and help bring these ideas forward.
206.459.8429 or 360.385.7118 email@example.com www.wisedemocracy.org
- Be a supporter. Donate to the Center for Wise Democracy! ... All donations are tax-deductible. We are a 501-c3 organization.