We offer social innovations to spark “wise democracy”
In society we face difficult, seemingly-impossible issues ...
- Global issues ... climate change, economic cycles, addictive substances, environmental destruction, racism, wars, etc.
- Our flawed process ... partisan gridlock, money dominating politics, disaffected citizens, etc.
- Systemic problems ... Regressive taxing, extrinsically motivated education, reactive justice, nonsense budgeting priorities, etc.
- Deep inequities ... poverty, prejudice, elite privilege, neighborhood blight, etc.
- In the Westernmost state of Austria, Vorarlberg, government leaders now use the Wisdom Council to involve and empower citizens, build the spirit of community, and leap forward difficult public issues. See the magazine article (in German) and the Report in English:Vorarlberg.RefugeeIssue.English ). Also see the 5 min video (in English) on how it was recently used state-wide on the issue of “influx of refugees.”
- Citizen groups in Asheville NC, Victoria BC, Pleasantville NY, Port Townsend WA, the Rogue Valley of OR, and other communities implemented Wisdom Council experiments to try this form of citizen empowerment.
- See this two minute video for how a TV show might spark this “We the People” conversation in the U.S. or the world:
- Choice-creating … is the heartfelt quality of thinking where we face the important issues creatively and collaboratively and achieve win/win progress through shifts and breakthroughs. This quality of thinking is ... or should be ... the heart of "true democracy." (See the chart contrasting decision-making with choice-creating.)
- Dynamic Facilitation … provides the ability for one person to reliably evoke the spirit of choice-creating in a group of people. This allows them to quickly achieve unanimous perspectives on ill-defined, impossible-seeming issues. (See the chart comparing Dynamic Facilitation with traditional facilitation.)
- The Wisdom Council … is a way to evoke the spirit of choice-creating throughout a large system of people like a community, organization or state. This way the citizens of a state, for example, can start facing difficult issues like how to fund education and co-determine what actions to take. Plus, the process builds the spirit of community. The Wisdom Council convenes a series of small groups of randomly selected people. They are dynamically facilitated to face difficult, ill-defined issues and co-create unanimous perspectives. These random, unanimous groups act as symbolic representations of "We the People,” and present their views to the whole system. In the process the public conversation shifts away from power-struggle toward collaboration. (See the chart comparing Three forms of Public Engagement.)
- The Wisdom Council Process is an ongoing series of randomly selected groups. Each Wisdom Council supports an ongoing public conversation in the spirit of choice-creating. This process is transformational in building all-inclusive “We the People” leadership.
- The Creative Insight Council is less transformational but powerful as well. It improves the functioning of the existing system. For example CIC members might be specially educated about the topic beforehand; Or they might be chosen using a stratified sampling process, rather than just being purely random ; Or their presentation might be to the ultimate “decision-makers” rather than to the citizenry.
- Society's Breakthrough is the application of the Wisdom Council process to the nation or to all citizens of the planet. Here is a safe way to build on what we have, yet transform our system of politics and economics to something more equitable and sustainable.
See the 22 minute video interview created by Hemma Spreitzhofer and the people at KOMUNARIKO. Filmed Feb. 13, 2012 in Salzburg, Austria, Jim Rough describes Dynamic Facilitation and the Wisdom Council
360.385.7118 firstname.lastname@example.org www.wisedemocracy.org
- Be a supporter. Donate to the Center for Wise Democracy! ... All donations are tax-deductible. We are a 501-c3 organization.