In the United States the impossible-seeming issues we face arise largely because our Constitutional System is based on competition. It sets up the "rules of the game" in governance, economics and justice. This context promotes a valuing of self-interest vs. the public interest. It sets up a public conversation, which is a power struggle among Special Interests and a battle between the Blue Team and the Red Team. What's missing is where the people can stop and think periodically in the spirit of "We the People." Otherwise, Special Interests will continue to win over the Public Interest. And this becomes more dangerous as we diminish shared resources and become increasingly inter-dependent.
Problems with “American democracy” are worsening
- Americans are increasingly polarized;
- Growing L-curve distribution of money and power;
- Increasing corruption, where the people take a back seat to moneyed interests;
- Disruption of the public conversation (and elections) with ... fake news, rage radio, foreign manipulation, etc.
- Lawmakers are in gridlock;
- Declining trust in government;
- Loss of shared vision and national community;
- Increasing autocratic and bureaucratic leadership;
- Exploding national debt;
- Intractable wars on terrorism;
- (name the issue that concerns you most)
A Solution is simple
The Wisdom Council Process can be used to add the missing ingredient, facilitating all of us to get involved, face these issues, and talk with one another in the spirit of choice-creating. With adequate resources a few of us can use this new process to facilitate all of us to face these impossible-seeming issues and reach unity, where We provide responsible leadership to government. This new "We the People" strategy is safe and effective. It just adds the missing whole-system conversation. It provides for breakthrough progress on each impossible-seeming issue and 2) a transformation of our system toward "true democracy." See the handout ... "How to Fix America ... And Become a Real Democracy"
See this short (9 min) video Rebirth of We the People. ... It's from 1/25/17, just after Donald Trump assumed the Presidency. While the talk is given to the Democrats of Spokane WA, It could just as easily been given to a Republican gathering.
Also see these resources
1) Seven strategies to fix the Ideal of Democracy in America
2) The short video on “How to reform democracy”
3) The book “Society’s Breakthrough! Releasing Essential Wisdom and Virtue in All the People”