BENEFITS of the global ToBe Project will start in phase #1
Phase 1 ... A few people in limited areas know about the global Wisdom Council Process
Even in this first "Voodoo doll" phase, the benefits start happening. This is because the approach is a holistic in nature, where right at the start we gather "all off humanity" in one room to address impossible-seeming existential issues. Because we do our best to get a pure random selection of people we have created a legitimate symbol of all of us. And then we help them to face global problems creatively and collaboratively such that they reach unified views. Even right at the beginning this has importance because this is a true first representation of the "Will of the People." And as this viewpoint gains in clarity over subsequent Wisdom Councils, legislators. philanthropists, editorial writers, etc., start talking themselves around what the people are saying. And this is what we are seeking to establish: A new "We the People" global conversation.
Phase 2 ... Most people in most areas know about the global Wisdom Council Process
There are authoritarian governments that might make it unsafe for people to participate freely. And there are fundamentalist believers who often can't normally say anteing but what they've been taught. But we have found that within each Wisdom Council it is possible to set up a context where individuals can think for themselves and where the group can get excited about the progress they are making toward unified viewpoints.
Phase 3 ... Most everyone knows about the Wisdom Council Process and takes part
This process offers something new to people in the broader public. Here's a chance to talk seriously about the biggest issues in society ... the pandemic, the struggles of poverty, wars, male-female relations, etc .... and do it in a way that is accepting of different views because the ongoing series of Wisdom Councils facilitate the global conversation of us all. It's a new conversation and relationship of neighbors, colleagues, boss-subordinates, teacher-students, etc.
Phase 4 ... A legitimate "We the People" comes into being
Over time the conclusions of the Wisdom Councils describe a view of reality, a vision of what we all want and a perspective on what's needed. People and corporations and institutions start to act differently, independently in a new coherence. Plus, we can all act together with a new level of collective intelligence. In time it becomes apparent that we are all in this together and that together WE are the ultimate authority.
Phase 5 ... "We the People" sets up new forms of global governance and economics
If a legitimate, inclusive "We the People" arises, already that is a new hierarchy. System. Also "We the People" can act to set up new institutions and subsystems to assure the wellbeing of our people and our planet. For instance, here's a way to fairly and humanely address the necessary reduction of global human population so our biosphere can regenerate. Without this process we will likely careen toward collapse in one way or another.
Different kinds of impact ...
- Solving Monster Problems (See below)
- Educating our People ...
- Coordinating Institutions ... Humanity with a shared vision
- Transforming the "System" ...from the Box or Triangle to The Circle System...
- Establishing new Subsystems .. e.g..Governance, Economics, Culture
- Forming a new Meta-physics ... from the metaphysics of Subject-Object to "We-consciousness, where we are all co-contributing to a living system
Monster Problems with hints about how they can be solved
- Increasing polarization, information silos, separate versions of "truth," no shared vision; ... The The ToBe Project can facilitate a new kind of public conversation (i.e. Choice-creating vs. Decision-making) where people naturally listen to one another and co-determine "what is truth", "what we want", "how to get there" ... So just implementing the new conversation is a solution to determining a shared truth..
- Radicalized people, conspiracy theories, rage without evidence, calling for violence, lack of listening ... Choice-creating, is a healing process where people listen to diverse voices and co-create a shared perspective. In the process people reawaken critical thinking, systems thinking and creative thinking so that think for themselves and so that diverse views become an asset rather than a liability.
- Pandemics, excess government mandates, distrust of science, Covid variants ... Our System focuses on individual freedoms with little regard for the collective need. Here's a way to maintain and enhance individual freedoms while we all co-determine what is the best. It's all of us as part of "We the People," talking things over creatively and collaboratively, and co-creating a shared strategy going forward. This is how to get beyond government mandates, to where we all figure things out together and oversee the implementation of our strategy.
- L-curve distribution of wealth and power, poverty, homelessness ... Our current System is like the game of Monopoly: One player wins everything while the others lose. What's missing is the spirit of global collaboration and community that makes the current mal-distribution of wealth deeply embarrassing. This process facilitates a lessening of the game-mentality and a new collective problem-solving orientation.
- Increasing corruption, special interests dominating the public interest, purchased politicians, bribery ... There is no sense of the "Public Interest" in our current System. It's just a competition of Special Interests. But Society's Breakthrough creates the missing voice of "We the People" and a clear expression of the Public Interest. It's a new management System, beyond capitalism, where more primarily we seek to realize the shared vision.
- Unraveling of public institutions —threatened autocracy, fake news, runaway Supreme Court rulings, foreign manipulation of elections, breakdown of the rule of law, threats to voting rights, captured agencies/revolving doors for executives, etc. ... Society's Breakthrough establishes a new collective thinking capability and a new public institution, "We the People", which is ongoing. This provides a way that We can establish trustworthy public institutions and reshape our social contract.
- Partisan gridlock, avoiding the BIG issues, politicians incapable of agreeing, threatened loss of democracy ... Quality leadership cannot come from within the partisan battle. A way to transcend the partisan battle is to enlist the participation of all people in a creative endeavor, solving real problems. This is a higher form of democracy, what we call "Wise Democracy." Here we face the Monster Problems one at a time, reach unity and provide responsible direction to elected officials, the marketplace and the culture.
- Declining trust in government, elections, the courts and one another; loss of the spirit of community ... When the people face difficult problems and come together on what's needed, this builds trust. Here's a way that "We the People" of the 21st century can take responsibility for our System and institutions back from an 18th century "We the People" that is currently in charge. Now, in unity, we can start designing a 21st century system.
- Systemic racism, mysogyny, prejudice, violence directed at minorities ... Our current System is rooted in "decision-making", which literally means "cutting away" ... e.g. a judging process that "cuts away" the minority. On the other hand an ongoing national choice-creating conversation sets up a system of valuing diversity. In choice-creating minority voices are necessary to achieve creative shifts and breakthroughs.
- Destruction of the commons ... e.g. aquifers, forests, trust in government, spirit of community ... The Tragedy of the Commons happens because we are structured to be self-interested parties taking from the commons, with essentially no provision for the well-being of the whole. Society's Breakthrough restructures our System so that we all meet to consider the well-being of the commons and to responsibly manage it.
- Our System is destroying our people ... e.g. special interests and making money comes first, our food systems build unhealthy bodies and destroys soils, each of us is trapped in a system that holds us in misinformation and forces us to be complicit in trashing the planet and undermining the future well-being of our children ... We are riding in an airplane on auto-pilot, heading toward a mountain. And increasingly people know it, and feel the desperation of our situation. Through the ToBe Project "We" can check back in on our situation and start thinking intelligently together about what to do. Here's a way all of us can get meaningfully involved in building the new System that's needed..
- We shift our thinking ... from a basis in judgment (decision-making) to a basis in creativity (i.e. choice-creating), from an emphasis on self-aggrandizement to service. From a reductionist, mechanistic, subject-object world view to a more holistic form where we "get it" that we are part of a living system and work together with others to co-determine what's best.
- We heal deep divisions and trauma ... Choice-creating is a trauma-healing conversation. (See the archived video "Healing Trauma and Dynamic Facilitation" 2009)
- We start aligning our actions with our values ... e.g. to reshaping budget priorities
- We restructure our society so that jobs have real meaning ... away from an emphasis on profits and toward contributing to our collective needs.
- Economics will naturally shift away from mindlessly maximizing profits toward "ToBe-ism," where we consciously aim our individual and collective toward what matter most for ourselves and others,
- See how the ToBe Project can be applied to national problems in America
- Video Seminar (5-parts): "Essential Wisdom for Solving Society's BiggestEssential Wisdom Issues
- Book (2002) “Society’s Breakthrough! Releasing Essential Wisdom and Virtue in All the People”