Problems with “American democracy” are worsening
- Americans are increasingly polarized;
- Growing L-curve distribution of money and power;
- Increasing corruption, where the people take a back seat to moneyed interests;
- Disruption of the public conversation (and elections) with ... fake news, rage radio, foreign manipulation, etc.
- Lawmakers are in gridlock;
- Declining trust in government;
- Loss of shared vision and national community;
- Increasing autocratic and bureaucratic leadership;
- Exploding national debt;
- Intractable wars on terrorism;
- Collective actions that no one can explain;
- (name the issue that concerns you most)
All of these impossible-seeming issues arise in large measure because of System of Thinking, which is based on competition instead of collaboration. Our Constitution, for instance, sets up the "rules of the game" in governance, economics, justice, etc. This results in a valuing of self-interest vs. the public interest and sets up a public conversation that is more of a power struggle than a conversation. Politics is a battle of special Interests. What's missing is where the people stop and think periodically in the spirit of "We the People" and provide responsible direction to government. We don't need to directly change the Constitution. We just need to facilitate "We the People."
A Solution is simple
The Wisdom Council Process can facilitate all of us to get involved, face these issues, talk with one another and reach near unity on what to do. This only seems difficult because of the competitive "decision-making" conversation structured for us. Actually, we can also facilitate a whole-system conversation in the spirit of choice-creating, where we face the Big issues, value different views and creatively seek win/win answers. A national Wisdom Council Process offers the a way to facilitate this, just adding the missing part that would make our system a "true democracy." It provides for 1) breakthrough progress on each impossible-seeming issue; 2) a new public conversation, a politics, that builds trust and the spirit of community; and 3) a new democracy where "We the People" (all of us together) assert our rightful authority. See the handout ... "How to Fix America ... And Become a Real Democracy"
See this short (9 min) video Rebirth of We the People. ... It's from 1/25/17, just after Donald Trump assumed the Presidency. While the talk is given to the Democrats of Spokane WA, It could just as easily been given to a Republican gathering.
Also see these resources
1) Seven strategies to fix the Ideal of Democracy in America
2) The short video on “How to reform democracy”
3) The book “Society’s Breakthrough! Releasing Essential Wisdom and Virtue in All the People”