The Wisdom Council Process
The Wisdom Council Process has twelve principles. If all of them are met, then the people of a large system have a way to come together thoughtfully and creatively as "We the People." It's a way to structure Wise Democracy, where the people are ultimately in charge. This approach can be applied to any large system—community, organization, city, nation, business, school, co-op, network, or corporation.
What does it look like?
Every three to six months twelve members of the community are randomly selected to meet for a few days as a Wisdom Council. Each Wisdom Council identifies and addresses an issue of high importance, whether solvable or not. The Wisdom Council is dynamically facilitated to achieve a quality of conversation known as “choice-creating,” where they creatively and collaboratively determine an unanimous strategy to address this issue. Then they present this perspective back to the community, along with their story of how they got there. Everyone in the community or organization is invited to hear this perspective, reflect on it with others in small groups, and report back his or her level of resonance. After such a presentation and conversation generally people recognize that most everyone is in sync, saying,"Yes, I think so too!".
Even when some disagree, others are generally are interested in their viewpoint seeking to incorporate it. So here is to shift the public conversation away from partisan battling toward a more creative conversation, addressing the issues of greatest importance, generating collaboration, and developing one voice of "We the People" over time. Experts, leaders, special interest groups and general folk are all included in this ongoing public conversation facilitated by the ongoing series of Wisdom Councils.
Paradoxically, even though people come more into alignment, they also become more uniquely themselves. This is because choice-creating requires individual differences in order to achieve the shifts and breakthroughs required for win/win unity.
Books describing the Wisdom Council:
- Society's Breakthrough! Releasing Essential Wisdom and Virtue in All the People by Jim Rough;
- Tao of Democracy by Tom Atlee
- Spontaneous Evolution by Bruce Lipton and Steve Bhaerman
- Escaping the Matrix by Richard K. Moore
- Reuniting America by Joseph McCormick and Steve Bhaerrman
- Empowering Public Wisdom by Tom Atlee
- The Co-Intelligence Institute works to further the understanding and development of co-intelligence in politics, governance and cultural evolution. See www.co-intelligence.org
- See the chart of comparison with Citizens Deliberative Councils, the Creative Insight Council, and the Wisdom Council Process.
- See the video on the Rogue Valley Wisdom Council
- See the video on the Food Coop Wisdom Council
- See the video on the Student-led Wisdom Council
- Be a supporter. Donate to the Center for Wise Democracy! ... All donations are tax-deductible. We are a 501-c3 organization.