The Wise Democracy Amendment
The Wise Democracy Amendment engages most all citizens in a new conversation on the important issues of the day, one which is collaborative and creative. It establishes a new thinking process that transcends the usual power struggle, and provides for "We the People" to arise and exert intelligent leadership.
- Section 1—Wisdom Council Process: There shall be an ongoing series of National Citizens Wisdom Councils, at least three per year. Each Wisdom Council is comprised of twelve citizens randomly selected from voter registration roles, who gather for two to five days. They choose an issue of vital importance and are facilitated to create unanimous perspectives. These perspectives are termed “Statements of the People.”
- Section 2 — The National Ceremony: All citizens are invited to come together in different venues to hear the The Wisdom Council make its "State of the Union" report. The report consists of the Statements of the People, sharing the story of how these statements were created, and personal reflections from members of the Wisdom Council on their experience. Once the Wisdom Council finishes this presentation, it disbands. Then all people visit with one another face to face about the conclusions and register their level of support via the web.
- Section 3—The "We the People" Conversation: After the "State of the Union" ceremony all citizens are encouraged to continue talking with others face-to-face, through print media and online. All are given an opportunity to register their level of support for the Statements on line where anyone can see the extent of citizen resonance. Over time this cycle of Wisdom Councils facilitates one ongoing national conversation, which approximates a Constitutional Convention with all citizens as delegates. In time near-unanimous “We the People” solutions to problems emerge.
- Section 4—Assuring the Essential Quality of Conversation: Each Wisdom Council must be facilitated in a way that assures "choice-creating," a quality of talking and thinking that is heartfelt, collaborative and creative where citizens seek answers what's best for all. Dynamic Facilitation is used within the Wisdom Council to assure choice-creating and unanimous, enthusiastic conclusions.
- Section 5—Oversight of the Process: A rotating group of twelve former Wisdom Council members are convened to assure capable Dynamic Facilitation and to provide for ongoing support to the national “We the People” conversation. Three elected members from each of the previous four Wisdom Councils will serve on the Oversight Committee. The Oversight Committee shall also be dynamically facilitated.
The Wise Democracy Amendment provides a deep systemic way to:
- Transform the quality of political conversation so that it becomes more inclusive, respectful, creative and consensual.
- Generate a bottom-up shared vision and a spirit of national and global community.
- Generate new solutions to crucial public issues, plus the political will to implement these solutions.
- Facilitate "Wise Democracy," where all citizens come together as “We the People” and provide competent leadership to government, the courts, and to society in general.
- Preserve and enhance individual freedoms and deepest human values, and help release people’s creative gifts in service to the public interest.
- Achieve these benefits in a way that is safe, with no coercion, identifiable risk, or immediate change to existing institutions.
Video interview on the Wise Democracy Amendment (8/27/10