What is the Wisdom Council?
The Wisdom Council is a way the people of a large system—e.g. citizens of a community, members of an organization, citizens of a nation—can address and solve difficult issues together — achieving thoughtful, near-unanimous results. Using this process it’s possible for a community of people to come together in the spirit of “We,” solve difficult problems, and build the capacity for collective wisdom.
Different kinds of Wisdom Council include:
- The Wisdom Council process is an established, ongoing process of Wisdom Councils so that a legitimate, powerful “We the People” forms over time. This process promises to transform the system to approximate a “true democracy” ... and a “wise democracy.”
- The Creative Insight Council is a modified form of the Wisdom Council to achieve a limited goal, basically to improve the ability of the established “decision-makers” to function. Modifications might be, for example ... CIC members to be chosen using a stratified sampling rather than just being purely random; for them to be specially educated about the issue beforehand; or for them to present their conclusions to the ultimate “decision-makers” rather than to the citizenry;
- Society’s Breakthrough is where the Wisdom Council process is applied to the nation and/or to the world. This promises a transformation of our System ... including governance, economics, and our “system of thinking.” Ultimately, if we are to solve many of our most pressing issues— like wars, poverty, and environmental destruction—we must recognize that these issues naturally arise from of our current System. Here is an accessible way to safely facilitate our System to transform away from it’s current basis in self-interest, judgment and competition to a basis in relationship, creativity and collaboration. This shift is essential for our society to become more equitable and sustainable.
- A number of books describe the Wisdom Council strategy as a way to bring new levels of democracy including:
- Society's Breakthrough! Releasing Essential Wisdom and Virtue in All the People by Jim Rough;
- Tao of Democracy by Tom Atlee
- Spontaneous Evolution by Bruce Lipton and Steve Bhaerman
- Escaping the Matrix by Richard K. Moore
- Reuniting America by Joseph McCormick and Steve Bhaerrman
- Empowering Public Wisdom by Tom Atlee
Article: A Rebirth of 'We the People' by Jim Rough
- Be a supporter. Donate to the Center for Wise Democracy! ... All donations are tax-deductible. We are a 501-c3 organization.