What is choice-creating?
Choice-creating is a heartfelt, creative mode of thinking where people address important issues with the best interests of all in mind. It often arises naturally in a crisis, when people put aside their denial and their roles to engage one another authentically. The natural outcome of choice-creating is an unanimous perspective. Paradoxically, this unity arises from people becoming more individual because it is achieved through shifts and breakthroughs rather than compromise.
Choice-creating is, or ought to be, the heart of democracy. At each level of society, "We the People" should be coming together, talking and thinking respectfully, creatively figuring out what's best, and providing direction to government. Most people assume choice-creating is not possible in large systems, like cities or nations. They think voting preceded by deliberation or dialogue is the best that can happen. But Dynamic Facilitation can assure choice-creating in small groups. And the Wisdom Council Process and the Creative Insight Council can evoke the spirit of choice-creating in large systems.
Elements of choice-creating include ...
- A vital issue to face … impossible, ill-defined, or conflicted is OK
- Authenticity … people speak from the heart, no roles, no representatives
- Open-minded and open-hearted … people respect others and listen with interest
- Energy … the group finds value in concerns, frustration, acting out, and conflict
- Valuing diversity … appreciating different views without judgment
- Shifts and breakthroughs … new solutions, feelings, perceptions
- Unanimous choices … “co-sensus” more than “consensus”
- Empowerment … people grow to own the issue and take responsibility
- New meaning … people create a new story of change
- Spirit of “we” … people come together as “We the People”
- Enhanced individuality ... people become more knowledgable, capable, unique and interdependent
More Resources on Choice-creating ...
- See the chart on three ways a democracy can choose ... decision-making, consensus-building and choice-creating
- For an example of choice-creating without Dynamic Facilitation see How to Make a Decision without really Making a Decision by Tom Atlee
- International Association of Facilitators paper "Dynamic Facilitation and Choice-creating"
See a video interview interview from 2007 on Choice-creating, with guest host Paul Everett
- Be a supporter. Donate to the Center for Wise Democracy! ... All donations are tax-deductible. We are a 501-c3 organization.